Gretchen

Gretchen

Another pattern test

and my first test for Ana Morais Soares from One Skein of LoveGretchen is a lovely blanket in Overlay Mosaic technique.

The original blanket is about 110 x 130 cm big and made with 4 different colors. It is a written pattern with row by row pictures but it also contains charts. The blanket has a plain double border and some nice tassels. 

The pattern is available in Ana’s Ravelry store.

My version of Gretchen



As there was only little time for testing I made only a small version: 4 repeats in width and 4 repeats in height, plus the 3 final rows. My finished blanket is about 58 x 80 cm including the border.

I used Stylecraft Special DK in only two colors, a combination of Pistachio and Meadow. Originally it was Ana’s idea to combine Pistachio and Meadow and I absolutely love the result!
I replaced the main color, C1, with Meadow and the colors C2, C3 and C4 with Pistachio. 
My slip stitch round (for the double border) is done in Pistachio. As I was afraid to run out of Meadow I also did the back layer of the border in Pistachio and only the front layer in Meadow.

As my test piece is really small I made some changes for the tassels. I only used two strands of yarn, one in each color. Otherwise they probably would have become too dominant.

To me this was a relaxing project and as one repeat goes over 30 rows it didn’t get boring at all! 

It is strange, but when I do Mosaic crochet there are some patterns where I prefer to follow the written instructions and others where I love to follow the charts. To me Gretchen definitely was a pattern to follow the chart! Don’t ask me why …

But no matter wether you work according the written instructions or the chart, in some rows it can be helpful to mark the end of a repeat with a stitch marker.

Here some impressions of my test project

The first repeat












Ready for the border

















Finished


My finished test version of Gretchen, the new pattern by Ana Morais Soares / One Skein of Love
My finished Gretchen Blanket


I really loved testing this pattern! 

I am sure Ana had very special memories whilst designing this pattern and some special memories have accompanied me too:

My great-aunts name was Gretchen. In Germany this is an affectionate form for Margarete. 

Aunt Gretchen was born at the end of the 19th century and the younger sister of my Grandma. After the second world war they lived together in a little house with a huge garden. So I was back in my childhood, sitting in the yard, playing with the wooden toys my Grandpa made for me …

Comments